Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Return

As I watched this movie I felt myself so interested in what was going to happen next. I really enjoyed this movie and when it first started out I had no idea the director was going to take it into the direction he did. I thought Ivan, the youngest of the boys was a cry baby as soon as he would not jump down into the water. Then when the father came around Ivan put all of the work on Andrei because he would not do it. Andrei had to carry everything and do all of the dirty work because Ivan would complain about it. When Ivan kept complaining about leaving the spot where the fish were biting I knew that the dad was going to give him a punishment. When he left him on the side of the road I really did not ever think he was going to come back. I really did not understand how Ivan had so much hatred for his father but then I could see him getting really upset when he watched him slap his brother. It was really sad when the dad died because I never expected that to happen. I really enojyed watching this movie but felt like there were a lot of points I was missing out on in the end.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry, we're all a little bit (or even a lot) left in the dark at the end by this one! I remember how during my first watching of the film I felt much the way you did. I was struck by the way Ivan turns into a different character from what we initially expect...and how he seems to change again after the father's death. It's much like you say--each new thing that happens comes as a complete surprise and keeps pulling you along...

    ReplyDelete