Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Burnt By the Sun

Burnt by the Sun, was by far my favorite film we watched thus far. I loved the story line which kept me interested in the film the entire time. My favorite character was of course Nadya, the daughter of Sergei and Marusia. Nadya was one of the main characters of the film who had a very strong relationship with her father. When she ran off to the gate located around the cottage she really made me nervous because I thought she was going to get kidnapped by the "summer Santa Claus." It  first seemed like the "summer Santa" was trying to convince or persuade her to do something she should not be doing. Then after he plays the joke to the entire family inside of the cottage he takes off his clothes and shows that he is Mitya, Maruisa's long lost love. Mitya really confused me in the beginning of the film when he almost tried to kill himself. When Mitya came to visit I knew right away that there was going to be tension between him and Sergei. Mitya was a quiet character who seemed as if he kept a lot of what he wanted to say inside and never let anyone know how he truly felt. Mitya had a good relationship with Nadya also because he played with her and told her a story. I also think Sergei handled the situation well because he allowed Mitya and Marusia to catch up on the past and things they missed out on. I also felt bad for Sergei because as soon as Mitya came around I feel like he was not included as much in the family acitvities as he was before. I could tell that Sergei was a true soldier when he explained to Marusia that he was not scared like Mitya and he wanted to fight for his country. I was shocked at the end of the movie when the men came to pick up Mitya and Sergei because I never really understood how important Sergei was until the man in the pick up truck asked if it was really him. The only thing I wish was different was that Sergei did not get beat up as bad as he did because I was unable to watch when they kept showing his bloody beat up face.

No comments:

Post a Comment